> Through the looking glass: COLLECTING GLASS

WELCOME TO MY SITE
I have written this blog mainly through my interest of Stuart crystal. After being at home with my daughter I started to use my computer more often and I started selling my stuff on eBay which lead me to buying Stuart crystal from the art deco period with the Stratford rings. After searching the web for more information on this style I found there is not much information around. So I started to write this site which includes pictures of my collection and some of my other interests. As I collect more I will be adding other pictures as well (I'm sure other designs will creep in).

I have had several questions regarding the value of Stuart Crystal glasses, I'm sorry I am unable to give valuations as I am a private collector, and I do not have that knowlege. I have picked Stuart glasses up from as little as 20p up to a few pounds So they are worth whatever people are prepared to pay!

So I hope you enjoy reading my site, find some of my posts interesting and the pictures are a useful reference.

Subscribe in a reader

Please feel free to use my guestbook .
If you have enjoyed a particular post you can leave a comment on each post, or even subscribe to my reader.
Guestbook
Guestbook RSS feed
Add to GoogleAddThis Social Bookmark Button


COLLECTING GLASS


Collecting glass can be a interesting hobby. I love scouring car boots, I always try to get to a car boot before the traders get there and buy all the bargains but alas with a little one having a broken nights sleep I never seem to make it early enough. But its great fun rummaging in those boxes the stall holders cant be bothered to display, and sad to say it is a rush when I find a piece of Stuart crystal or when you spot a item on a table you rush over to grab it almost pushing people out the way (not really I'm usually wheeling my 2 year old in a push chair). Then you haggle, they want a pound you offer 50p then you come to a agreement of 75p. keeping and eye out for a interesting item, I'm mainly into collecting Stuart crystal,and I love it when I find a piece for 50p. http://www.carbootjunction.com/
Charity shops are also a great place to find great items, but usually things are a little bit dearer, but hey they are good causes so you cant begrudge paying that little bit extra, a lot of them do have people value the items so they now what they are selling. http://www.alotoforganics.co.uk/cats/charity.php

Antiques fairs are always a good place to look for a item you collect, but I didn't find any Stuart crystal at the last fair that I went to. But its great chatting to people who know a lot about glassware, and learning from them. http://www.antiquesnews.co.uk/fairs/list.htm

The next place I'm going to try are auctions I believe they are a good place to look as well! I just need to jiggle my time so I can go to one! (but I know I will probably get carried away and spend to much!).

Ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/ is a great place to find glass you are collecting sometimes you can get great bargains, I love bidding right at the end I try to bid at the last minute (finger poised on the bid now button at the last few seconds) is also fun! and as I usually get carried away buying things. Its a great place to sell as well! There is only so much one can keep! making a little more money to spend on buying Stuart crystal!!

I'm getting quite good now a recognising who made what piece of glass and roughly when, if I buy a item at a car boot or charity shop I enjoy scouring the web looking for my item and identifying it! glass collecting is also a learning curve as well !

There is also garage sales, second hand shops or even small antique/bric-a-brac shops worth looking at.

There is something beautiful about glassware, the way the light catches it the sound and the history.

There is so many types and styles of glass, crystal, pressed glass, blown, uranium glass which I also love as it glows in the dark when you use a ultra Violet light on it (slightly radioactive) http://www.glass.co.nz/uranium.htm.Pearline which actually produces arsenic in the process of making.http://www.glass.co.nz/Davidson.htm

Different types of glass that are worth collecting http://collectibles.about.com/cs/glasscollecting/

Glass making is an art, and a very intresting hobby!




10 comments:

    what beautiful glassware! makes me want to antiquing right now!

     
    On June 25, 2008 at 8:09 PM Anonymous said...

    Traveling about I usually try to sniff out antique stores to see if there's something I 'can't do without' - and glassware is what I'm usually looking for. Thanks for the great article.

     
    On September 16, 2008 at 12:08 AM Anonymous said...

    i like the green glass :D a cup for the kings ^_^
    -jerri

     

    your blog is good good good......

     
    On January 14, 2010 at 11:14 AM Anonymous said...

    Interesting story you got here. I'd like to read more concerning that theme. Thnx for giving this data.
    Joan Stepsen
    Hi tech gadgets

     

    nice posting.....http://webconnecttechnologies.com/about_us.php

     

    This is generally a wonderful website i should say,I enjoyed reading your articles. This is truly a great read for me. I have bookmarked it and I am looking forward to reading new articles. Keep up the good work

     

    Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Any way I'll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon.

     

    Wonderful glass,. I have found good information in your blog…I will definitely share it with others.thanks

     

    I can see that you are putting a lot of time and effort into your site and detailed articles! I am deeply in love with every single piece of information you post here.

    Ophthalmology | Surgical instruments | Dental Instruments

     

comments

Enhanced with Snapshots

Blogger Templates by Blog Forum